Romania's beginning in wireless telephony dates back to the 1992, when Telefonica Spain established a Romanian subsidiary, Telefonica Romania, a company meant to bring the mobile communications to Eastern Europe.
This remained the sole mobile telecom operator until 1997, having of course 100% market share. The data base of customers was counting over 20.000 users by the end of 1996, and the company employed around 100 people.
Telemobil SA was born in 1998, when RDT (Radio Design Technology) takes over Telefonica Romania. In May, Telemobil already launches the SUNTEL mobile communication service based on LEMS (Low Emission Mobile Station) technology.
If 1998 meant the beginning of Telemobil, the year 2000 marked to beginning of Zapp. A whole new history begins with Telemobil's business changing over time from a simple mobile telephony operator to a mature company offering complex integrated communications solutions.
- 2000 - INQUAM, whose main shareholders are QUALCOMM and OMNIA Fund, acquires Telemobil from RDT.
- 2001 - Telemobil launches in Romania, the new digital mobile telephony services based on CDMA technology, using 450 MHz frequency. The new services are offered under the commercial brand of Zapp Mobile.
- 2003 - Zapp Mobile becomes Zapp. Zapp and QUALCOMM inaugurated the BREW LAB - for developers of mobile phone applications.
- April - Zapp Me service is launched, being the first commercial service based on BREW platform in Europe
- October - Zapp Internet Express is being introduced to the market, this being the first broadband mobile communication service available at national level and rapidly becoming the most popular mobile data service in Romania.
- February - Telemobil raises a $ 94 million finance package to be used mainly for further development of the network and improvements to the services delivered.
- July - Zapp launches Zapp Internet Express Card - the first pre paid broadband mobile service in Romania.
- September - Zapp coverage reaches 83% of the territory and 90% of the Romanian population.
- October - Zapp launches FixTel - a fixed line telephony service incorporating value added services such as: data, sms and voice messages is being introduced to the local market.
- 2006 - Telemobil S.A. is awarded a 3G licence
- January - Saudi Oger buys the shares of Qualcomm in Telemobil Romania thus becoming the majority shareholder.
- June - Zapp launches pre commercial services for 3G services in 19 major cities throughout Romania.
- 30 June 2009 - COSMOTE signs an agreement with Zapp Romania BV and Saudi Oger for the acquisition of Telemobil S.A (Zapp).
- 30 October 2009 - COSMOTE acquires, through its 100% subsidiary Cypriot holding company, Cosmoholding Romania Ltd, ownership of 100% (minus one share) of Telemobil SA’s shares, held by Saudi Oger, following the approval of relevant Romanian authorities.